Advisory: Senate Health Leader Heads to Oregon to Speak at Health Policy Conference
Author of drug pricing transparency bill in California invited to speak during the National Academy for State Health Policy in Portland
SACRAMENTO – State Senator Dr. Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina), chair of the Senate Health Committee, will be traveling to Portland, Oregon this week to discuss California’s leadership role on health care and drug pricing transparency. In an effort to bring to light California’s accomplishments in this area, Senator Hernandez will discuss his legislation, Senate Bill 17, which is a groundbreaking law that will not only benefit millions of Californians, but will hopefully become a model for the entire nation
On Wednesday, Senator Hernandez will be on a panel with other policy leaders from around the country at the 30th Annual National Academy for State Health Policy Conference. This discussion comes on the heels of California’s Governor Jerry Brown signing Senator Hernandez’ SB 17, which brings transparency to Big Pharma and the reasons behind skyrocketing drug prices.
Senator Hernandez is now encouraging other states, and the U.S. Congress, to pass similar legislation to advance transparency and lower health care costs.
- Wednesday, October 25 at 11 a.m.
- Portland Marriott Downtown Waterfront
- 1401 SW Naito Parkway
- Portland, Oregon
- Gregory Allen, MSW, Director, Financial Planning and Policy Division, New York State Department of Health
- Dr. Ed Hernandez, O.D., Chair, Senate Health Committee, California State Senate
- Dr. Norman Thurston, PhD, Representative, Utah State Legislature
For press interested in scheduling interviews with Senator Hernandez, please contact Diana.Crofts-Pelayo@sen.ca.gov.
Read more about Senator Hernandez’ health policy leadership and SB 17.
- Release: Senator Hernandez’ SB 17 Signed into Law
- The Wall Street Journal: California Governor Signs Bill Requiring Greater Drug Price Transparency
- ABC News: California to require advanced notice on hikes in drug costs
- California Healthline: New Law Challenges ‘Evils’ Of Pharma Profits, California Governor Claims
- California Healthline: Governor Inks Support for Some Key Health Bills, Nixes Others
- The Los Angeles Times: Californians will get more information on what’s driving prescription drug prices under law signed by governor