Advisory: Senator Hernandez, Assembly Leaders and Tom Steyer Join the SB 17 Support Partners to Encourage its Passage
Coalition to Deliver over 15,000 Petition Signatures in Support of the Drug Pricing Transparency Legislation
SACRAMENTO – On Wednesday, September 6, Senator Ed Hernandez (D-West Covina), will join SB 17 principal co-authors Assemblymembers Jim Wood (D-Healdsburg), chair of the Assembly Health Committee, David Chiu (D-San Francisco), and NextGen America President Tom Steyer, along with other coalition partners, for a press conference to urge Assemblymembers to pass Senate Bill 17. The passage of this legislation will shine a light on Big Pharma and the reasons for rising drug prices in California.
The coalition will highlight the broad support for immediate action on drug pricing transparency.
The affordability of health insurance remains a critical issue across California. Drug companies try to hide their price gouging by helping consumers with their co-payments or providing discounts to the uninsured, but all this does is shield consumers from the true cost of the drug while driving up insurance premiums for everyone.
In addition to Senator Hernandez, Assemblymembers Wood and Chiu, Tom Steyer, and Art Pulaski, Health Access Executive Director Anthony Wright, South Sacramento Kaiser Permanente Senior Vice President and Area Manager Trish Rodriguez RN, patient Victoria Stuessel, and AARP California Executive Council Member Rita Saenz will speak at the press conference. Immediately following the press conference, the coalition will meet with Assemblymembers and deliver SB 17 petition signatures.
SB 17 passed the Assembly Appropriations Committee last week and is awaiting a vote of the full Assembly.
- Dr. Ed Hernandez, O.D., SB 17 Author and chair, Senate Health Committee
- Assemblymember Jim Wood (D-Healdsburg), chair, Assembly Health Committee and SB 17 principal co-author
- Assemblymember David Chiu (D-San Francisco), SB 17 principal co-author
- Tom Steyer, President, NextGen America
- Art Pulaski, Chief Officer, California Labor Federation
- Anthony Wright, Executive Director, Health Access California
- Trish Rodriguez RN, CEO, South Sacramento Kaiser Permanente
- Victoria Stuessel, Patient
- Rita Saenz, Executive Council Member, AARP
- Courage Campaign
- Heather Fargo, Former Mayor of Sacramento
WHAT: Senate Bill 17 Drug Pricing Transparency Press Conference and Petition Delivery
WHEN: Wednesday, September 6 at 10:30 a.m.
WHERE: California State Capitol, Room 317
There will be a livestream available to watch remotely: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je8Xr-hlo-I
Open to all credentialed media – Please send RSVP to Diana.Crofts-Pelayo@sen.ca.gov